otto's war room banner

otto's war room banner

Friday, January 31, 2014

'Dr. Strangelove' released 50 years ago this week

I know more people who love this picture and still enjoy it today.
-សតិវ អតុ
This is from the LA Times:
"Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" was released 50 years ago this week. The film is regarded as a cinematic masterpiece today (AFI ranked it No. 39 in its 10th anniversary Top 100 in 2007), but in February 1964, Times film editor Philip K. Scheuer didn’t find much to like. I’m partial to the deadpan of the subheadline: "Kubrick’s ‘Satire’ Tells All About End of World, Ha Ha." But this is a great line too:

"… a publicist at Columbia, which is distributing the picture, assured me it would be my 'cup of tea.' After suffering through two screenings of 'Dr. Strangelove,' I would sooner drink hemlock."

No comments: