otto's war room banner

otto's war room banner

Saturday, August 01, 2015

Activist turn out to oppose Sedgwick County Commission cuts


Tired of seeing their community damaged by constant public funding cuts, local people turned out for a rally for QuitTheCuts, in Old TownWichita, Friday evening. More than 60 people showed up for the rally.
Many people had QuitTheCuts signs and the stood in front of a stage to hear several speakers. The action was encouraged to support the Sedgwick County arts and culture community.
County commissioners are planning to make deep cuts, amounting to $1-million, into arts and cultural programs, health services, the Sedgwick County Zoo and GED programs for prisoners.
Bruce Rowley, of RSA Marketing was one of the speakers.
"When I was 18 I couldn't wait to leave (Wichita)," he said. "Recently I called my parents to tell them I plan to come back to Wichita. I thought they'd be happy. They said 'Oh you don't want to do that"
He said he want this community to be a place where people will want to come and live. He also said that people won't want to live here if services and arts are not funded and supported.
"I thought this was a nice place to grow up," he added.

People in the audience were encouraged to contact their commissioners and oppose the cuts. Letters and envelopes were provided for those who wanted them.   

No comments: