From Revolutionary Praxis/ Maoist_Revolution;
The Arab Spring raised hopes for the emergence of new progressive and revolutionary forces in the countries stretching from North Africa through to
Iran. Such hopes have
long since been dashed. Rather, the fall and decline of despotic but relatively secular
regimes in places such as
Tunisia, Libya, Syria and Iraq has been accompanied by a sharp rise in
Islamic fundamentalism, vicious rivalry between Sunnis and Shias and persecution of non-Muslims by Muslims.
Fresh imperialist incursions into these countries have only served to intensify internal
conflicts and feed the forces of religious reaction. Millions of people are fleeing the
chaos which has come about in their homelands,
So what needs to be done? It is absolutely necessary to form a People’s Liberation Army of the
countries of this region and still there remain millions of people of communist
sympathies. The great majority of the people in these countries want neither the secular
fascism of regimes such as that of Assad in
Syria nor the religious fascism of ISIL (Islamic State)
and other Muslim fundamentalist groups. It is the duty of communists both within and
outside of the
Middle East to provide the lead in forming a progressive, liberation force.
A People’s Liberation Army of the
Middle East would:
- Recruit personnel from among both women and men and from all ethnic and national groups in the region.
- Oppose all reactionary forces in these countries.
- Resist imperialist incursions into these countries.
- Uphold freedom of religious expression and worship provided that this does not infringe on basic civil liberties.
- Form alliances with progressive elements in these countries.
- Take up the highest form of political struggle, the armed struggle.
- Aim to establish broad-based, popular regimes of the new democratic type.
It is the duty of Maoists to take the lead in struggling to establish the PLA of the
One spark can light a prairie fire!