otto's war room banner

otto's war room banner

Monday, November 21, 2016

Another Thanksgiving- more mythology

By សតិវ ​អតុ


Today, Thanksgiving is seen by many as a "politically incorrect" holiday. The pilgrim forefathers took advantage of the Indians. And some people believe that it is barbaric to plan a holiday over killing a turkey. Still there are my relatives and I probably won't tell them how bad their holiday is, at least not until after we all eat. So I print this so all may know the truth.
There was a “first Thanksgiving” dinner, but not likely turkey or the fixings we see today. The original meat was fish and deer.  The turkey became part of Thanksgiving about 1857. It is supposed to be of foods native to the New World. It became a national holiday in 1941. The traditional fixings came from a women’s magazine in the 1850s.
For a look at the real first Thanksgiving see the Kasama Project. For the Kasama Project:

"Every schoolchild in the U.S. has been taught that the Pilgrims of the Plymouth Colony invited the local Indians to a major harvest feast after surviving their first bitter year in New England. But the real history of Thanksgiving is a story of the murder of indigenous people and the theft of their land by European colonialists–and of the ruthless ways of capitalism."

I’m an Epicurean and don’t believe in praying to god, I will simply be thankful, while I am with friends and relatives this season. I'm thankful for all of them. I'm thankful for being alive and I'm thankful that I have friends and family involved in political movements that may someday make a difference in this world. 

Addam's Family Values Thanksgiving Play

Alien Sex Fiend - Stuff The Turkey (This is not that political, but sometimes a Marxist just wants to have fun.)

No comments: