otto's war room banner

otto's war room banner

Wednesday, July 04, 2018

"What To The Slave Is The 4th Of July?" FREDERICK DOUGLASS SPEECH, 1852

"What To The Slave Is The 4th Of July?"
FREDERICK DOUGLASS SPEECH, 1852

This is a Fourth of July classic. I like posting this almost every Fourth of July. It gives us time to think about our country for real. -សតិវ អតុ

The Freeman Institute Foundation -- Developing Black History galleries designed to
educate and inspire young people in selected cities internationally (collection).



Fellow citizens, pardon me, allow me to ask, why am I called upon to speak here today? What have I, or those I represent, to do with your national independence? Are the great principles of political freedom and of natural justice, embodied in that Declaration of Independence, extended to us? and am I, therefore, called upon to bring our humble offering to the national altar, and to confess the benefits and express devout gratitude for the blessings resulting from your independence to us?

Would to God, both for your sakes and ours, that an affirmative answer could be truthfullyreturned to these questions! Then would my task be light, and my burden easy and delightful. For who is there so cold that a nation's sympathy could not warm him? Who so obdurate and dead to the claims of gratitude that would not thankfully acknowledge such priceless benefits? Who so stolid and selfish that would not give his voice to swell the hallelujahs of a nation's jubilee, when the chains of servitude had been torn from his limbs? I am not that man. In a case like that the dumb might eloquently speak and the "lame man leap as an hart."

For the Rest of this speech click here.

No comments: